Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character idea brainstorming.

+2
InvertedMonkey
ST McDude
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Character idea brainstorming. Empty Character idea brainstorming.

Post by ST McDude Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Use this space for brainstorming character ideas and other such things.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Character idea brainstorming. Empty Re: Character idea brainstorming.

Post by InvertedMonkey Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 pm

So I've basically decided to revive Ramona. The experience with her on EoD was ultimately so disappointing, the opportunity to play a game with her and actually DO THINGS is too great for me to ignore. I have a rough draft of her character sheet* in the spoiler. Also, I'm spoilering a summary of her background.

Ramona's Background:
Ramona's Aesthetic:
Ramona's Character Sheet:
*This character sheet includes the 50 xp, and a houserule that Brian and I discussed but may not have made it onto the forum yet, waiving the Wyrd 3 requirement for Dual Kith.

Revision, Pending Approval: Instead of starting (without XP) with Physical Attributes at Str 4, Dex 1, Sta 3, and then raising Dex to 3 using a total of 25 XP, Physical Attributes start at Str 4, Dex 2, Sta 2. Dex and Sta are then each raised to 3 with a total of 30 XP. This creates a 5 XP deficit, which will be covered by removing Subterfuge 1 for 3 XP and Harvest 2 for 2 XP.

Though I actually intend to keep Subterfuge 1, and lower Animal Ken to zero instead. Lying is more important.

Last edited by InvertedMonkey on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : added Ramona's Aesthetic)
InvertedMonkey
InvertedMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:48 am

It wasn't a house rule, it was how it was printed in rites of spring.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Great to see Ramona up and around again, Monkey.

I'm currently working on a concept but I wanted to check in about something: I usually go Social/Mental and, if I'm being totally honest, almost never play combat-capable characters. That worked out fine for me on our previous forum, partially because dice were almost never thrown, but I know that isn't usually the case.

While I'm still early on in this concept it would be easy to tweak things around to change that, if I need to. Thoughts, feelings, concerns? I've included my concept in the spoiler.

Current Concept:
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:14 am

A neat concept, you shouldn't really need much combat investiture. Just a dot or two in the right areas maybe. Don't get me wrong I like combat, but not everything will be a deep horror that only the most combatty will walk away from.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:58 am

I'm at that point where input from you guys would help a lot. I was thinking after looking through the info in the books that it would be potentially neat to create "houses" within each of the courts. Since changelings can't really procreate, it's pretty much closer to the entitlements or whatnot. Now you can either post the ones from the books you like or come up with new ones.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Mon May 01, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm definitely curious about this; how different would they be from Entitlements? On the surface the houses sound cool, but also like they would probably only work if the Courts were pretty large.
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Tue May 02, 2017 3:45 pm

Well I think from a mechanics perspective it'd be entitlements. It's just whether you want to use preexisting ones or make up new ones. I was yammering at monkey about court sizes and apparently 40-50 changelings in a freehold is small. I'd say about double or so changelings left in the freehold with more in the outlier areas. Most of these are faceless chodes, or new character fodder.

I'd say about 40 spring, 35 autumn, 12 summer, and 13 core winter. Winter varies a lot given their loose and spaced out members. They technically have more membership, but apart from those 13 members they don't contribute or socialize much. Also a lot of the winter court went to ground in the aftermath. Many of which skipped town.

Anyway tangents aside. Feel free to peruse the entitlements and point out some good ones. I'll be poking through them to see if there is anything of note. Unless you got some good ideas for new ones. Also on whether you'd prefer to use the name "house" for them instead of "entitlements". I think entitlements just sounds a trifle too pretentious.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Gotta agree about calling them Entitlements, it is pretty pretentious. I like the idea of distilling them into houses and allowing them to be actual factions; in my played experience there have been one of a particular entitlement, two of another, one of a third. They never have much narrative or political power.

I'll look through them again, I can remember a few I really like off the top of my head but they were all really high powered, haha.
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Wed May 03, 2017 10:56 am

Ok so now that I've looked through the intro on entitlements I see why they went with that word. Effectively entitlement is exactly that, initiation into an order. Which makes sense since if you called it a house they'd all be houses. Calling it an entitlement leaves it open for all kinds of organizational differences. So each noble order has their own means of address, initiation, code of conduct. Nothing needed to change them, just need to find ones that are good to use.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Wed May 03, 2017 11:48 am

I found a list of them broken into Courts and non-Court specific groups, if that helps at all.

Would you still want them to exist mostly within a specific Court, even if they weren't initially built that way?
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Thu May 04, 2017 12:06 am

I was only against the naming, until I found out it was somewhat generic. I don't feel the need to modify any of the entitlements from how they were originally printed. If some of them in there are modified from printed material, go with printed. Unless there is a good reason for it.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am

Cool, sounds good to me.
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mavspade Fri May 05, 2017 9:00 pm

I am at the most basic phase of character development and wanted to ask a few questions.

Should i focus on making a character who will fit within a motley of just a few players (the three player present? ) or we hoping for a large cast eventually to flesh out the community of the freehold?

I guess really i am asking are we going sandbox game or a more linear adventure style?
Mavspade
Mavspade

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Fri May 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Hybrid personally. I don't have any dreams of grandeur with this. That said, you guys aren't going to be joined at the hip. If you split up I'll have the time to run you through stuff individually, you can do like on the other chat and write glimpses, or you can run around in groups or w/e. Ultimately, just play what you think will be fun.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Sat May 20, 2017 10:41 am

(Put this in the wrong thread initially, sorry about that)

So Mav, Monkey and I had a chance to hang out recently and had an idea we'd like to run by you:

War Motleys
As things went progressively more and more to shit during the war, we were thinking that some strategic motleys were formed as a way to keep checks and balances on other Courts. A motley of exclusively Autumns would be suspicious to other Courts as they could only be trusted to protect Autumn interests (not true), so motley groupings were as inter-Court as possible.

Our motley was originally five changelings, two of them didn't survive the war. As a motley of necessity, formed for an entire year because we didn't know when the war would be over, the characters would now be stuck in a position where the instigating force is gone/shifted and they just don't know each other that well. They know they can trust each other in a pinch, and by now they're pretty sure none of the others are loyalists, but they're not BFFs.

Some of the other war motleys might have left together to be part of the other Freeholds that have sprung up, maybe some of them are split between Freeholds which is hard on everyone. Maybe one person is the only survivor of their motley and no one quite trusts them, whether or not they deserve it.

Character Specific Stuff
I've also had a couple more ideas for my own concept:

Before the war she was working in a halfway house, and she turned part of it into a safehouse for Changelings during the war. That worked for a long time, but eventually someone either ratted them out or someone wasn't subtle enough and it got raided, potentially destroyed. In the end several of the mundane residents were hurt and/or killed along with the Lost who were caught there, though my character either wasn't there at the time or managed to escape on her own.

Currently, I thought she might be working as a bartender in the Spring bar: something she can do easily, doesn't require a ton of emotional investment, a decent source of income while she gets back on her feet, puts her somewhere she can keep an eye on some of Spring's business, etc.

I'm also thinking she would have her eye on joining the Order of the Hallowed Garden, which requires Wyrd 3 so it would be awhile, but they mention in the book the best way is to find a local Gardner and offer to help them out, so I might start brainstorming a mentor for her or something.
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Sat May 20, 2017 7:49 pm

I really like the ideas you put forth here. Now a few notes which you might not have known, but would only change some of the dynamic a little.

War Motleys. A GREAT idea! Buuuut the war wasn't actually that long, and yet it lasts to this day. It is the fear of and realization of the True Fae's presence that they are still a thing, and they are still watching you. Everything you've written for these is something that would happen, just a little different context. The "war" would have been something they've considered for a while. While the court politics on current events seem rocky, the old summer king was a true alpha male type and the interactions between the courts was rather more intense while he held the crown. There was a bit less fear beforehand regarding the true fae, most of it was tied up in not getting ground underfoot by political schemes. So the war motley idea would be a solution to keep things working within this atmosphere, then would have transitioned into a more combative stance when the fae invaded. Afterward they'd be what most people are turning to in order to get things done, given the upended situation in the court.

As far as your group's motley. Did you swear a motley oath? Or was it less formal? Did it expire already? It's one of the things I love about the pledge system, the wyrd cares not for circumstance and exception. An oath is an oath, take care who you swear it to.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mavspade Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:33 pm

(Finally got logged in!)

I have been playing with the concept for an Autumn Courtier who uses Talecrafting. He is sort of the freeholds sorcerer. It is a bit of a public secret that he is ambitious and has his eyes set for growth in his power of the freehold. Because of this most people are weary of him and his offers, Yet he is far too useful to be simply ignored

During the war he drew a lot of suspicion as a possible agent for the fae. He went to great lengths during that time to prove his loyalty to the Freehold (perhaps swearing his Motely oath and a few others). However, this obvious move to prove innocents has had the opposite effects on some.

His Durance was spent as the literal voice of his True Fae master. He was the words that spilled from his lips list mist. He was the song that was sung every night. Through him he wove his master's dream kingdom, creating, and changing on a word. Over time he tricked and deceived his master, turning his words against him, and temporary binding the Fae till he could make his escape.

Now he offers his magic and powers to the freehold in exchange for favors, oaths and other changeling means of power.
Character idea brainstorming. 0ecc1ffcb483fd3d6985a3417ddb74fb
Mavspade
Mavspade

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:20 am

I like the idea you came up with. A lot of what you came up with meshes pretty well with other npcs already in play (though your concept still differs). You can, if you like, choose to pick up some Contacts in the inner circle of the autumn court. They would be interested in dealing with someone like you, and not in the least bit afraid. They are um....intense people.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Saeyer Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:37 pm

character sheet:

Mask & Mien:

background:

Last edited by Saeyer on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Saeyer
Saeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgebound Heart Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Fetching Kyle:

Mask & Mien:

Background:

Last edited by Hedgebound Heart on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:41 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : CharGen Redux)
Hedgebound Heart
Hedgebound Heart

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:16 am

Your sheet looks ok except for the part where you dumped down attributes to buy them back up with starter xp. I'm going to go with what they did on the other site and if you sell down an attribute there will be a mandatory period where you won't be able to raise it back up.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedgebound Heart Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 am

That's cool. I meant it to reflect how his STR & STA got wrecked when he got chased through the hedge by his Keeper and former pack and then beefed up when he joined the Summer Court. I have no problem keeping them at 1 and actively role playing his recovering instead doing Glimpses of it. What's the waiting period?

Also, I can drop the "former Summer Courtier" thing if you don't like it.
Hedgebound Heart
Hedgebound Heart

Back to top Go down

Post by ST McDude Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:50 pm

I think short, the idea is to avoid it during character creation. I don't really feel like punishing people 6 months for it. So like 3 months is cool.

Nah, swapping courts isn't that huge a deal. They have some straightforward rules for it after all. Besides you bought a dot in court goodwill, which usually means you won't have too many problems.
ST McDude
ST McDude
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InvertedMonkey Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Personally I'm in love with two things about this:
1.) Our Motley now has one Changeling from each court! That tickles the part of my brain that likes orderly balance in things. I like it!
2.) An ex-Summer (and a very brief summer at that) will make great RP fodder. Kyle and Ramona may have some strong feelings about each other!
InvertedMonkey
InvertedMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next